Showing Collections: 1 - 9 of 9
Overview This collection contains sheet music, event programs, magazines, booklets, postcards, photographs, and other material related to African American musicians, composers, arrangers, and musical groups. This collection is mostly comprised of sheet music that falls under the sacred music genre such as gospels and spirituals, but also includes music in the blues genres. Also included in this collection are a few flyers and programs for events featuring African American musicians, booklets and...
Dates: 1871-1976; undated
Scope and Contents The collection is comprised of sheet music, choral scores, full and partial scores, manuscript music, music books, and compilations. The music falls primarily into the sacred music genre, including gospels, spirituals, and classical pieces; but also includes a significant amount of secular music, ranging from jazz to popular music to Broadway musicals and operas.This collection is part the Georgia & Nolan Payton Archive of Sacred Music in association with the ...
Dates: Copyright: 1811-2010
Overview Dr. Hansonia Caldwell is professor emeritus of music at California State University Dominguez Hills, with academic specialties in music, African-American music history, piano, choral conducting and humanities. She was a faculty member at CSUDH for more than 40 years and founded the CSUDH Jubilee Choir and the African Diaspora Sacred Music and Musicians program.
Found in: University Archives
Overview Materials created and collected by and about Jester Hairston, and administrative materials related to Hairston's centennial celebration. Materials include manuscripts, music and lyrics, articles, and administrative files.
Scope and Contents The collection is comprised of music, primarily African American sacred music such as gospel and spirituals, in avariety of formats, including sheet music, anthologies, and books. The collection also contains personal papers detailing Jones' education, choral, and church activities, musical education and instructional materials, and music history.This collection is part the Georgia & Nolan Payton Archive of Sacred Music in association with the ...
Dates: 1881-2000; Majority of material found within 1930-1999
Overview Albert John Joseph McNeil is an American choral conductor, ethnomusicologist, author, and founder of the Albert McNeil Jubilee Singers. His career has been dedicated to upholding choral music traditions with the presentation of Negro spirituals and concert music by African American composers. He is Professor Emeritus of Music at the University of California, Davis, where he was director of choral activities for 22 years and headed the Music Education Program.
Abstract This collection includes sheet music, performance notes, performance programs, chorale rosters, photos, a book, journal articles, correspondence documents, and multimedia related to the Shambrey Chorale. Choral works include early traditional sacred church music and hymns from 16th century styles to contemporary styles, compositions from canonical European composers, traditional negro spirituals, gospel, jazz, musical theater, U.S Patriotic, American Folk Songs, Christmas themes, and...
Overview This collection contains the papers, photographs, videos, and musical recordings related to organist, conductor, and musicologist Dr. Don Lee White. The collection documents African-American church music, church history, and the evolution of spiritual music in African-American churches. It also includes several compilations of hymns along with audio and video recordings of church and classical performances.
Dates: 1772-2010; Majority of material found within 1980-2010
Scope and Contents This collection is composed of photographs, posters, programs, tour materials, ephemera, and costumes related to Virginia White's tenure as a member of the Albert McNeil Jubilee Singers. The collection also contains several scrapbooks compiled by fellow Jubilee Singers member Jacquelyn Sebastian.This collection is part the Georgia & Nolan Payton Archive of Sacred Music in association with the African Diaspora of Sacred Music...
- Subject: Gospel music X
- California State University Dominguez Hills, Gerth Archives and Special Collections 8
- University Archives 1
- McNeil, Albert, 1920- 4
- Caldwell, Hansonia L. (Hansonia LaVerne), 1944- 3
- Hairston, Jester, 1901-2000 3
- Albert McNeil Jubilee Singers 2
- Abyssinian Baptist Church (New York, N.Y.) 1
- American Chorale Directors Association 1
- Blake, Eubie, 1887-1983 1
- California State University, Dominguez Hills. Department of Music 1
- California State University, Dominguez Hills. Jubilee Choir 1
- California State University, Los Angeles. Department of Music 1
- Davis, Virginia 1
- Dunbar, Paul Laurence, 1872-1906 1
- Ellington, Duke, 1899-1974 1
- Europe, James Reese, 1881-1919 1
- Grant African Methodist Episcopal Church (Los Angeles, CA) 1
- Hall Johnson Choir 1
- Handy, W. C. (William Christopher), 1873-1958 1
- Johnson, J. Rosamond (John Rosamond), 1873-1954 1
- Johnson, James Weldon, 1871-1938 1
- Jubilee Singers (Fisk University) 1
- Martin, Roberta, 1907-1969 1
- National Association of Negro Musicians (U.S.) 1
- Prairie View A & M University 1
- Robeson, Paul, 1898-1976 1
- Rustin, Bayard, 1912-1987 1
- Scott, Hazel, 1920-1981 1
- Sebastian, Jacquelyn F. 1
- Shambrey Chorale 1
- Shambrey, Celestine, 1911-2001 1
- Silber, Irwin, 1925-2010 1
- Smith, Genese 1
- University of California, Davis. Department of Music 1
- White, Don Lee, 1926-2010 1
- White, Virginia L. 1
- Williams Jubilee Singers 1
- dlw (Don Lee White) Community Chorale 1 ∧ less