Showing Collections: 1 - 5 of 5
Overview This collection contains sheet music, event programs, magazines, booklets, postcards, photographs, and other material related to African American musicians, composers, arrangers, and musical groups. This collection is mostly comprised of sheet music that falls under the sacred music genre such as gospels and spirituals, but also includes music in the blues genres. Also included in this collection are a few flyers and programs for events featuring African American musicians, booklets and...
Dates: 1871-1976; undated
Overview Albert John Joseph McNeil is an American choral conductor, ethnomusicologist, author, and founder of the Albert McNeil Jubilee Singers. His career has been dedicated to upholding choral music traditions with the presentation of Negro spirituals and concert music by African American composers. He is Professor Emeritus of Music at the University of California, Davis, where he was director of choral activities for 22 years and headed the Music Education Program.
Abstract This collection includes sheet music, performance notes, performance programs, chorale rosters, photos, a book, journal articles, correspondence documents, and multimedia related to the Shambrey Chorale. Choral works include early traditional sacred church music and hymns from 16th century styles to contemporary styles, compositions from canonical European composers, traditional negro spirituals, gospel, jazz, musical theater, U.S Patriotic, American Folk Songs, Christmas themes, and...
Overview This collection contains the papers, photographs, videos, and musical recordings related to organist, conductor, and musicologist Dr. Don Lee White. The collection documents African-American church music, church history, and the evolution of spiritual music in African-American churches. It also includes several compilations of hymns along with audio and video recordings of church and classical performances.
Dates: 1772-2010; Majority of material found within 1980-2010
Scope and Contents This collection is composed of photographs, posters, programs, tour materials, ephemera, and costumes related to Virginia White's tenure as a member of the Albert McNeil Jubilee Singers. The collection also contains several scrapbooks compiled by fellow Jubilee Singers member Jacquelyn Sebastian.This collection is part the Georgia & Nolan Payton Archive of Sacred Music in association with the African Diaspora of Sacred Music...
- Subject: Church music X
- McNeil, Albert, 1920- 3
- Albert McNeil Jubilee Singers 2
- Abyssinian Baptist Church (New York, N.Y.) 1
- American Chorale Directors Association 1
- Blake, Eubie, 1887-1983 1
- California State University, Los Angeles. Department of Music 1
- Cleveland, James, Reverend, 1931-1991 1
- Davis, Virginia 1
- Dunbar, Paul Laurence, 1872-1906 1
- Ellington, Duke, 1899-1974 1
- Grant African Methodist Episcopal Church (Los Angeles, CA) 1
- Hairston, Jester, 1901-2000 1
- Hall Johnson Choir 1
- Handy, W. C. (William Christopher), 1873-1958 1
- Johnson, James Weldon, 1871-1938 1
- Jubilee Singers (Fisk University) 1
- Martin, Roberta, 1907-1969 1
- National Association of Negro Musicians (U.S.) 1
- Prairie View A & M University 1
- Robeson, Paul, 1898-1976 1
- Sebastian, Jacquelyn F. 1
- Shambrey Chorale 1
- Shambrey, Celestine, 1911-2001 1
- Silber, Irwin, 1925-2010 1
- Smith, Genese 1
- University of California, Davis. Department of Music 1
- White, Don Lee, 1926-2010 1
- White, Virginia L. 1
- Williams Jubilee Singers 1
- dlw (Don Lee White) Community Chorale 1 ∧ less