Showing Collections: 1 - 6 of 6
Overview Dr. Hansonia Caldwell is professor emeritus of music at California State University Dominguez Hills, with academic specialties in music, African-American music history, piano, choral conducting and humanities. She was a faculty member at CSUDH for more than 40 years and founded the CSUDH Jubilee Choir and the African Diaspora Sacred Music and Musicians program.
Found in: University Archives
Overview Materials created and collected by and about Jester Hairston, and administrative materials related to Hairston's centennial celebration. Materials include manuscripts, music and lyrics, articles, and administrative files.
Overview The Marguerite P. Justice Papers collection includes, correspondence, photographs, reports, pamphlets, speeches, and other materials regarding the Los Angeles Police Depatment, Los Angeles Police Commission, and varying clubs and organization in the city of Los Angeles.
Dates: circa 1930s-1990s
Abstract This collection includes sheet music, performance notes, performance programs, chorale rosters, photos, a book, journal articles, correspondence documents, and multimedia related to the Shambrey Chorale. Choral works include early traditional sacred church music and hymns from 16th century styles to contemporary styles, compositions from canonical European composers, traditional negro spirituals, gospel, jazz, musical theater, U.S Patriotic, American Folk Songs, Christmas themes, and...
Overview This collection is comprised of various research items compiled by Carolee Gardner Trefts, including her own writings. It mainly documents the history of the Pasadena, California School Board's controversy regarding desegregation and busing effecting the minority students and the internal turmoil within the school board itself between members and school parents. The research also includes a manuscript by Harry Tyler from the 1950s and 1960s, which provides background information for some of the...
Dates: 1963-1979, 1981, 1983, 1999, 2004; Majority of material found within 1970-1979
Scope and Contents This collection is composed of photographs, posters, programs, tour materials, ephemera, and costumes related to Virginia White's tenure as a member of the Albert McNeil Jubilee Singers. The collection also contains several scrapbooks compiled by fellow Jubilee Singers member Jacquelyn Sebastian.
- Subject: African Americans -- California -- Los Angeles X
- California State University Dominguez Hills, Gerth Archives and Special Collections 5
- University Archives 1
- Caldwell, Hansonia L. (Hansonia LaVerne), 1944- 2
- Hairston, Jester, 1901-2000 2
- Albert McNeil Jubilee Singers 1
- Clark, Steve 1
- Community Care and Development Services 1
- Cortines, Ramon C. 1
- Greater Los Angeles Community Action Agency 1
- Johnson, Charles B. 1
- Johnson, Lionel 1
- Justice, Marguerite P. , 1921-2009 1
- Justice, William H. 1
- Lanterman, Frank 1
- Lester, Herbert 1
- Lester, Nora Jean 1
- Los Angeles (Calif.). Police Department 1
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People 1
- Pasadena (Calif.). Board of Education 1
- Pasadena Education Association 1
- Pasadena Unified School District 1
- Robinson, Inez 1
- Shambrey Chorale 1
- Shambrey, Celestine, 1911-2001 1
- Sheats, Samuel C. 1
- Smith, Pia 1
- Smith, Shirlee 1
- Spangler, Nancy Anne 1
- Tejeda, Judy 1
- Trefts, Carolee Gardner 1
- Tyler, Harry E. 1
- Watts Labor Community Action Committee (Los Angeles, Calif.) 1
- White, Virginia 1
- Young Women's Christian Association 1 ∧ less