Showing Collections: 1 - 5 of 5
Overview Dr. Hansonia Caldwell is professor emeritus of music at California State University Dominguez Hills, with academic specialties in music, African-American music history, piano, choral conducting and humanities. She was a faculty member at CSUDH for more than 40 years and founded the CSUDH Jubilee Choir and the African Diaspora Sacred Music and Musicians program.
Found in: University Archives
Overview Materials created and collected by and about Jester Hairston, and administrative materials related to Hairston's centennial celebration. Materials include manuscripts, music and lyrics, articles, and administrative files.
Overview Albert John Joseph McNeil is an American choral conductor, ethnomusicologist, author, and founder of the Albert McNeil Jubilee Singers. His career has been dedicated to upholding choral music traditions with the presentation of Negro spirituals and concert music by African American composers. He is Professor Emeritus of Music at the University of California, Davis, where he was director of choral activities for 22 years and headed the Music Education Program.
Abstract This collection includes sheet music, performance notes, performance programs, chorale rosters, photos, a book, journal articles, correspondence documents, and multimedia related to the Shambrey Chorale. Choral works include early traditional sacred church music and hymns from 16th century styles to contemporary styles, compositions from canonical European composers, traditional negro spirituals, gospel, jazz, musical theater, U.S Patriotic, American Folk Songs, Christmas themes, and...
Overview This collection contains the papers, photographs, videos, and musical recordings related to organist, conductor, and musicologist Dr. Don Lee White. The collection documents African-American church music, church history, and the evolution of spiritual music in African-American churches. It also includes several compilations of hymns along with audio and video recordings of church and classical performances.
Dates: 1772-2010; Majority of material found within 1980-2010
- Subject: African American choral conductors X
- California State University Dominguez Hills, Gerth Archives and Special Collections 4
- University Archives 1
- Hairston, Jester, 1901-2000 3
- McNeil, Albert, 1920- 3
- Caldwell, Hansonia L. (Hansonia LaVerne), 1944- 2
- Albert McNeil Jubilee Singers 1
- American Chorale Directors Association 1
- California State University, Dominguez Hills. Department of Music 1
- California State University, Dominguez Hills. Jubilee Choir 1
- California State University, Los Angeles. Department of Music 1
- Grant African Methodist Episcopal Church (Los Angeles, CA) 1
- National Association of Negro Musicians (U.S.) 1
- Prairie View A & M University 1
- Shambrey Chorale 1
- Shambrey, Celestine, 1911-2001 1
- University of California, Davis. Department of Music 1
- White, Don Lee, 1926-2010 1
- dlw (Don Lee White) Community Chorale 1 ∧ less