Political Newspapers and Publications Collection
Scope and Content
The Political Newspaper and Publications collection (1948-1994; undated) consists of approximately 110 newspaper and publication titles. Some journals report from a national perspective, while others focus on local news and politics. These journals all focus on politics from a leftist point of view, and a large number of publications in the collection espouse a Marxist viewpoint. The collection spans from the late 1940s through the early 1990s, though the majority of newspapers were published in the late 1960s and 1970s. The bulk of the collection is comprised of issues of The Guardian, Black Panther, The Call, Chinese Literature, People's World, Ramparts, and World Magazine. The majority of journal titles are represented by a single issue or a few issues. There is also a collection of flyers, leaflets, and other publications a variety of topics including the Anti-War movement, the Black movement, the Labor movement, and other topics.
- 1949-1994; undated
- Majority of material found within 1969-1992
- Zweig, Martha (Person)
Language of Materials
Collection material is in English and Spanish.
There are no access restrictions on this collection.
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Director of Archives and Special Collections. Permission for publication is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical materials and not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained.
The collection consists of approximately 115 newspaper and journal titles, published between 1949 and 1994, though the majority of the collection was published between 1969 and 1992. The newspapers all report from a leftist perspective and many of the publications espouse a Communist ideology. Topics relating to many of the major movements of the late 20th Century are covered, including the Anti-War Movement, the Black Movement, the Chicano Movement, and the Feminist Movement. As many of the publications relate to Communist ideology, there is a great focus on labor issues and the plight of the working class in the United States. These Communist publications largely report on issues in the United States, though they also report on world happenings, including coverage of Cuba. Many of the journals offered extensive coverage relating to the death of Mao Zedung in 1976.
38.41 Linear Feet
This collection consists of approximately 110 alternative newspaper and journal titles whose primary focus is from an ethnic, leftist, socialist, or communist perspective. A large number of the collection consists of issues of The Guardian, though it also includes publications such as: The Black Panther, The Call, Chinese Literature, Ramparts, and many other titles. This collection also consists of other publications, leaflets, flyers, clippings, and articles relating to topics such as the anti-war movement, the Black movement, the labor movement, and other topics.
Arranged in 4 series:
- Series I. The Guardian, 1968-1992
- Series II. Other Substantial Newspapers and Publications, 1961-1978; undated
- Series III. Miscellaneous Publications, 1953-1994
- Series IV. Newsletters, Pamphlets, Clippings, and other documents, 1948, 1967-1991; undated
Most of this collection was donated by Martha Zweig in 2009. Other portions of the collection were collected by Archives and Special Collections throughout the years 1990-2008.
The collection was processed by Erin Kurinsky, 2010. Additional material that was acquired in 2020 was processed and added to the collection in 2021 by Karen Clemons.
- Black Panther Party
- Carter, Jimmy , 1924-
- Chicano movement -- United States -- Newspapers
- Cleaver, Eldridge, 1935-1998
- Communism -- United States -- Periodicals
- Communist Party of the United States of America
- Conspiracy theories -- United States -- Newspapers
- Davis, Angela Y. (Angela Yvonne ), 1944-
- Feminist theory -- United States -- Newspapers
- Jackson, Jesse, 1941-
- Labor movement -- United States -- Newspapers
- Labor unions -- United States -- Newspapers
- Liberal perspectives
- Mao, Zedong, 1893-1976
- Marxist criticism -- United States -- Newspapers
- Marxist pamphlets
- Marxist-Leninist theory
- Newton, Huey P.
- Peace movements -- United States -- Newspapers
- Philosophy, Marxist -- United States -- Newspapers
- Reagan, Ronald
- Seale, Bobby, 1936-
- Student movements -- California -- Berkeley -- newspapers
- Student movements -- United States -- Newspapers
- Students for a Democratic Society (U.S.)
- Underground newspapers -- United States
- Underground press publications -- United States
- Weather Underground Organization
- Inventory of the Policital Newspapers Collection
- Finding aid prepared by Erin Kurinsky
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description