University Art Gallery Collection
Scope and Content
The collection documents exhibitions held at the Art Gallery at the California State University, Dominguez Hills and its predecessors from 1975. The materials primarily consist of exhibit Announcements press releases, newspaper clippings, catalogues, programs, brochures, flyers, postcards, correspondence and some related information. Also includes extensive material on the exhibition, “Painted Light” held in 1999. The paintings were mostly by California Impressionists and originally purchased by graduating seniors of Gardena High School from 1919 to 1956 for the school. The exhibition was held in collaboration with The Irvine Museum, Los Angeles Unified School District, Torrance Unified School District, and The Irvine Museum and sponsored by W.M. Keck Foundation.
- Majority of material found within 1998-1999
There are no access restrictions on this collection.
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Director of Archives and Special Collections. Permission for publication is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical materials and not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained.
The University Art Gallery at the California State University, Dominguez Hills opened in 1978, and is considered to be one of the major exhibition spaces of the South Bay area. The gallery supports and enhances the Art Department instructional program while giving students from all disciplines and interested community members a valuable opportunity to explore and experience contemporary and historical works of art from many cultures. The gallery is also used as a forum for student art critique classes, discussions with artists, university and community guest lecture series and events.
3 boxes (1.5 linear ft)
Language of Materials
The collection documents exhibitions held at the Art Gallery at California State University, Dominguez Hills, including exhibit Announcements and publications. The collection also includes the exhibition material from the California impressionists’ “Painted Light” in 1999.
Arranged in two series:
- Series I. University Art Gallery, 1975-2008
- Series II. Art Department Exhibition, 1975-2008
Materials in this collection were transferred by the Art Department, California State University Dominguez Hills and collected by archives staff. It is a growing collection.
The collection was originally processed by James Lake in 1998. Additional materials were added to the collection in 2009, and processed by Ryoko Onishi.
- Bischoff, Franz
- Botke, Jessie Arms, 1883-1971
- Braun, Maurice, 1877-1941
- Brown, Benjamin Chambers, 1865-1942
- California State University, Dominguez Hills. University Art Gallery -- Exhibitions
- Clark, Alson Skinner, 1876-1949
- Curtis, Leland
- Dixon, Maynard, 1875-1946
- Forsythe, Vic, 1885-1962
- Frost, John, 1890-1937
- Gardena (Calif.)
- Gleason, J. Duncan (Joe Duncan), 1881-1959
- Hansen, Armin C. (Armin-Carl), 1886-1957
- Harris, Sam Hyde, 1889-1977
- Hinkle, Clarence Kaiser
- Impressionism (Art) -- California, Southern -- Exhibitions
- Johnson, Frank Tenney, 1874-1939
- Kosa, Emil, 1903-1968
- Los Angeles Unified School District
- Nielsen, Peter
- Painting -- California -- Exhibitions
- Painting, American -- California, Southern -- 20th century -- Exhibitions
- Payne, Edgar A. (Edgar Alwin), 1882-1947
- Puthuff, Hanson Duvall
- Rich, John Hubbard
- Rungius, Carl, 1869-1959
- Schofield, Walter Elmer, 1867-1944
- Scott, Clyde Eugene
- Smith, Jack Wilkinson
- Stern, Jean
- Swinnerton, James Guifford
- Wachtel, Marion Kavanagh, 1876-1954
- Wendt, William, 1865-1946
- White, Orrin A.
- Whitely, John H.
- Zimmerer, Kathy
- Inventory of the University Art Gallery Collection
- Under Revision
- Finding aid prepared in 1998 by James Lake; updated and expanded in 2009 by Ryoko Onishi.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the University Archives Repository